Monday 6 September 2010

World Superbike Team Switching - The Talk of the Steamie #WSBK

Good Morning, todays chit chat on twitter has prompted me to write another blog. As usual after a race weekend there is much chatter about riders swapping teams and championships.
So here is where we are so far. Yesterday Yamaha announced (finally) that Cal Crutchlow was off to MotoGP taking over from Ben Spies at Tech3. This morning I received an email from Yamaha announcing their signing of none other one Marco Melandri. I thought this was quite interesting as I kinda half expected that Noriyuki Haga might return to Yamaha(or maybe I just wished he would)since Ducati has announced that they would no longer be talking part in the WSBK championship next year.
Add to the rumour mill James Toseland telling Eurosport yesterday he was actively seeking a new ride as Yamaha wanted Italians on the team prompted alot of talk of Davide Tardozzi taking over from Massimo Meregalli, who is rumoured to be going to join Ben Spies in MotoGP. Oh yeah and there was also rumours that BMW want a more German team. Leading to more talk of the Melandri deal was linked to Tardozzi coming(they are neighbours apparently)and then this would probably mean the arrival of Michel Fabrizio since Davide Tardozzi is his personal manager.
Now I have to say that I didn't really get all the team manager hype and I wasn't Davide Tardozzi's biggest fan but think on this....since leaving Ducati(who last season were a force to be reckoned with) they have completely lost their racing mojo...but since his arrival at BMW they have won their first ever championship with Ayrton Badovini and the WSBK team have gone from strength to strength. Suppose looking at that you can see how Yamaha may want to pay to have him released from what was thought to have been a 3 year deal with BMW.
Wow what a tangled web we weave...so where does that leave James Toseland and Noriyuki Haga...by all accounts still looking for a ride for next year.
As ever jump in and leave your thoughts in the comments box..I love hearing all your takes on who is going where, when and why.
Happy Monday
Jen

8 comments:

  1. Alot of people will want to see Haga in a Factory team now that he got his Mojo back after yesterdays race win! I would like to see Haga on the R1, Good work Jen, keep it up! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would very much rather see Haga back on the R1 than Fabrizio; who I'm not too impressed with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time fast running out for JT. Surprised he didnt bounce back this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JT's mojo was dented in Motogp, he needs someone to have confidence in him and some good race wins & the old JT would be bouncing back.
    PLEASE some one give him a ride for next season!
    I like Haga would be nicer to see him, as I'm not a fan of the Italians, though I do like one and he's not in WSB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. JT definitely needs the confidence boost that a 2 year contract with a decent team would give him. I feel that his lack of performance this year is to do with a) not getting a 2 year deal with Yamaha and b) not getting on with Colin last year and therefore not being able to work with him developing the bike which has had a knock on effect on his confidence.
    Going to a team with a team-mate that he respects and can help with bike development is the best way forward for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya know, Jen, as much as I love racing, to me, it doesn't matter which rider goes to what brand/team. Although racing is a team sport, it is the individuals I tend to follow and frankly, I follow A LOT of them with no one particular favorite. I guess I just like to see close competition and who the players are matters little.

    And your post got me thinking. You know how fans often hate (or severely dislike) opposing teams? It never occurred to me, but in motorcycling racing, I love 'em all! There is not one single rider, team or brand I dislike! (Well, except for Harley. They're not really in any serous racing to speak of though and until they field a team in MotoGP, WSBK, AMA or other class that the rules aren't specifically written for their 1940's dinosaur motorcycles, I'll continue to hate them! But I digress.) ;-)

    I definitely have my likes and dislikes in other forms of sport, but in motorcycle racing, it's different. Perhaps it's because I have such a tremendous respect for every rider racing professionally that I have such an affinity for them. If I was out there racing against them, I'm sure my feelings would be different, but from a spectator standpoint, ya just gotta love 'em all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's like a soap! Well done girl! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice article.Maybe JT will go back to TenKate and Neukirchner to BMW.Haga is not the man who can develop a bike I think.He is more a racer so I'm curious were he will be next year

    ReplyDelete